Monday, September 5, 2011

First WWOOFing days at ArtFarm!

I've arrived at my first farm! Immediately, I'm surprised with what I find here...a house covered in bright graffiti art and painted murals of mermaids, fish transforming into hummingbirds, Jesus and the Mona Lisa, and even MickeyMouse. I hear a squeaking noise, and notice a young woman standing outside a colorful gate, with a basket of fresh brown eggs, squeezing a soccerball shaped horn under a sign that reads: "squeak the horn for Madeline." She introduces herself as Bel from Massachusetts, and then we go off in search of Madeline after a few minutes of waiting with no response. Later on, I meet Max (who is Bel's boyfriend, also from MA) and Tommi who is from Germany. Nans, from France, is scheduled to catch a train at noon for Mexico, so I get a short tour and work in the garden for just a little while before heading up to the house to make lunch for everyone. Bel and I work on a tofu stirfry, with a fresh mix of veggies from the garden and market and serve it with brown rice. Here's Max and Bel -
After lunch, Nans leaves and soon after that, Tom from England arrives. A bit later, I wander again through the garden, which is like a jungle maze of art and strange treasures like old windows, sinks and bathtubs filled with vegetables and herbs, and slightly alarming sculptures. There's a huge yoga and mediation deck, with a hammock nearby where I sit and read for a while in the afternoon. FUN DAY!
One of the many Pathways
Tomorrow, two people from Edinburgh are supposed to arrive and another woman from Germany, Karo, should be coming in the evening. More updates as they come!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH. you are living the dream, and I am so proud of you! I want to be you! Jules, there is so much love in heart for you right now

    ReplyDelete