Sunday, April 4, 2010

I've found a new way to be artistic! I love setting up the stand with all the vegetables at my new job! Here's a picture of my first design. I'll only be opening the shop on Saturdays (closing every other day except Monday), but I will be taking pictures of my progress as I learn the art of displaying vegetables. Lol it sounds kind of silly, but it is SO FUN! There are so many colors, directions in which the food has grown and the textures--oh the textures < 3 I even enjoy the surprise of slugs and gently plopping them into the compost to grub down on without interference. It's true organic produce, baby!
New Job!

My mom and I went to our favorite garden shop on Saturday and with some of my money made from house sitting (and pet sitting a sweet little dog named Coby) bought a few baby plants. I have mine by my bed, cleaning the air and giving my eyes a pretty place to rest.
New plants New Plants
Isn't that green yummy?

I hate to be such a Negative Nancy, but I am so sick of hearing about eggs and lamb! I'm not used to so much blatant non-vegeness around every corner. My family's tradition on Easter has a soft place in my heart, although we didn't do anything remotely Easter-ish this year. It was dreadfully gloomy all day, and now just started sprinkling. In the past, a few close families would meet up with mine and go for a nice spring hike. A few of the parents would speed up a head and drop chocolate eggs for all of us kiddos (about 6 girls depending on the year and who was able to make it). For several years I really believed the bunny had magically known we were coming on this exact hike and left the delicious chocolates for us. Later I figured it out (and I'm glad I did, for if I hadn't, I'd have something else entirely to deal with), and then was lucky enough to get to be the dropper! I loved munching on those milk chocolaty eggs (more than I should have, I suppose) and leaving behind a trail of colorful tinfoil wrapped treats for a few younger kids. I'm thankful that my parents didn't make it into a day full of heavy religious sermons or lavish presents (or live chicks!), and just sweetened up one of our hikes. Happy Easter (or Zombie-Jesus Day as some people call it) to everyone :)

I can't leave it on that note, so I will share a picture of my latest fruit smoothie.
Fresh Berries and Yogurt
It was strawberries (yup, straight from my farm), bananas, and berries with almond milk blended all together and then topped with soy yogurt and coconut milk keifer and a strawberry. I got a sour grass flower to pose too, oh lucky meeee!

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see more of your vegetable displays.
    I was telling some friends about our Easter day "hikes" and finding the chocolate that had fallen out of the bunny-man's basket. How funny that that is our main memory. :D
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha oh god i loved that milk chocolate ovals. Something so simple gave me great pleasure. I hate to admit it, but I really miss those since going vegan :( I can't wait to see you sister!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stand looks lovely!! I did a bunch of retail growing up and loved the time creating displays the best. Way to be creative!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete